Friday, December 8, 2017

It's Christmastime.... on the blog!


Hello sweet stamping friends! How has your week been? Are you starting to make your lists and check them twice? Do you know who's been naughty.... and who's been nice? ;-)

I am not sure if you've been following the flurry of activity over on the Power Poppy blog this week but, if not, I strongly urge you to check it out! Each day this week -- actually since the first of December -- a different designer has been a guest blogger on the Power Poppy Blog, showcasing a fun-filled project to get you in the spirit of Christmas! And, I actually tried one of them today!

On Day 2 -- Stacy Morgan challenged us all to make a gift card holder and gave a step-by-step tutorial on one of her favorite ways! You can click HERE to check it out! Well, I decided to try this and made mine into a card. So, needless to say, my dimensions had to be a bit different. The good news is, I am sharing that with you today!

Here's a peek at how the project turned out!

I will point out, right off the top, that this project was one that I wanted to create in a jiffy. You might notice that the coloring on this is a bit all over the place. Well, that was my intent! Just a quick watercolor wash using my trusty (and very old) Twinkling H20s. I got these paints when they first made an appearance on the scene and I really need to drag them out more! It was fun to just color outside the lines and get that dreamy look with a bit of sparkle as well. Here's a little close up for you! I wish you could see the sparkle!


And, just to let you know, I used the hellebore image from Power Poppy's Heaven & Nature Sing stamp set - stamping with Versamark and then embossing with gold detail powder! Okay... moving on! Here's how I created my gift card holder!



I started by cutting a strip of paper to measure 4-1/4" by 11". From there, I scored 4" in on each side. After you do so, You have a 3" section in the middle. I added another score mark at the 5-1/2" line to create my mountain fold in the center. This will become my gift card holder!

From there, using the Heaven & Nature Sing stamp set from Power Poppy, I stamped all over this piece using a tan water-based ink.

Once I was done stamping, I did go over all the stamped areas with a water brush to give some depth to the stamped flowers....


And I also stamped the sentiment from Holly Golightly in Versamark Ink and then heat embossed using gold detail powder. The sentiment on the front is from the Under Glass: Christmas Traditions stamp set. 


Now, you can see that once I taped it all down, it created that mountain in the center of the card. I even put a line of tape at the far edge of each side of the mountain fold so that it would stay together and keep that gift card in place. One more note! Before I stuck that down, I did use a large oval die shape to create the slot for my gift card. See?


Once cut, you can see that the gift card fits in that little slot perfectly! From there, the rest is just matting up your card. I used a window die for my front, setting the stamped sentiment inside and that was pretty much it -- an easy and earthy gift card holder that is now ready for me to share the spirit of Christmas!



And that, my friends, is it! Like I said, check out Stacy's tutorial HERE and if you are looking for a few more ideas, I did a gift card tutorial last year, just in time for the holidays, HERE! 

Now, keep in mind, if you run through all the tutorials and decide to give one of them a try, don't forget to link up your creation on THIS POST. Every project linked up will be in the running for our 12 Days of Christmas Power & Spark Challenge. Winner gets a $50 Shopping Spree to the Power Poppy Shop! Oh, what fun!

Thanks for stopping by and seeing what I've been up to! Now it's time to check in not only with the Power Poppy blog HERE for today's tutorial with the oh-so-fabulous Cindy Lawrence but the other Bloomies below!


Cindy Lawrence
Julie Koerber >>> you are here!
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker


Hope you have a wonderful weekend and I will see you all back here real soon!
~Julie


No comments: